Tuesday 19 February 2013

Hypocrisy...


I have something to admit. I probably come across all preachy on here because I’m trying to educate people and show that I’m a normal person. But sometimes, I am equally ignorant when speaking to disabled people, especially those who are mentally affected.

The reason I’m saying this now is because there was a man sitting next to me at the game on Saturday who kept tapping me on my shoulder and pointing saying something. I was doing exactly what I hate people doing by responding with a patronising smile and nodding even though I didn’t understand. He could’ve been saying “you look like a right mug getting upset over football” and I just agreed.

Some may say he’s mental so didn’t realise Wheelchair Boy was being patronising.   Think about it differently. He’s a man trapped behind a mental handicap. What if he was thinking that as a fellow disabled person, I’d understand and treat him normally. It just makes me think of the Down’s Syndrome character of Becky on glee who has a posh voice. You don’t know what people are thinking regardless of disability/race/age/gender, which is an interesting thought.

Another thing that I done was stare at someone with a disability which irritates the hell out of me so I was annoyed. But, I couldn't take my eyes of the men because I find sign language so fascinating. Plus, I was trying to work out who were the deaf ones.  Yet, if a 19 year old boy was staring at me, I'd tell him in no uncertain ternms where to go...

We can all learn from this blog including me.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment