Friday 2 August 2013

People…


Sitting down all day provides me with a unique perspective to see my fellow human beings in a new light. Believe it or not, I don’t just perv on women all day although my eyes do wander as you can imagine (perfect height for a cheeky look). This sounds peculiar but I’m sort of able to assess everyone I meet. Not in-depth or anything. I’m no psychologist. However, I do come up with theories in my head from time to time and this one is seemingly true.

Over the course of this blog (remember it’s only a year and a bit old), I’ve used numerous examples to illustrate how attitudes towards disabled people can vary. After studying a large number of people at the Wireless Festival, I have reached a conclusion about humanity that can be applied to all. I know taking a small observation and saying that everyone else has the same attributes is stereotyping, which I complain about a lot but this is payback. See how the rest of the world enjoys being grouped.

Basically, there are 4 types of people when it comes to meeting a disabled person. Some (I’d like this to become the majority) will not care about the wheelchair and will talk to me normally. Then, there are those who appear to be genuinely kind but in actual fact, are just being polite and think it’s the best thing to do (happens quite a lot in bars/clubs). Other’s end up making themselves look like idiots by patronising and addressing me like I’m a moron (these people need to read). Lastly, a segment of society (including the government) who just want to shut their eyes and pretend disability does not exist. They will try to avoid eye contact at all times or if that’s not possible, look through me as if I am a piece of dirt.

So, that is where I’m at in my understanding of people. Hopefully, my readers are either in the first group or are reading, learning and moving over. If not, I’d be greatly disappointed because it would suggest this blog is not doing it’s job properly. Maybe, people would treat me normally if I kept promises and blogged Monday-Friday. Apologies for yesterday. I went to the Arsenal shop at the Emirates in the day and went to the cinema at night. So, when I got home at 22.00, I’ve got to be honest and say I couldn’t be bothered to write a post.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment