Friday 9 August 2013

The wait continues…


Right, you’re all aware from my early blog post on Monday morning that my wheelchair appointment was cancelled at the last minute. Back in early June, we were told that because the accident had knackered the chair and I had been using it for so long, a new one would be ordered. Obviously, I was excited to get some new wheels as I was struggling with the old one in many ways so was a bit disappointed to say the least when I didn’t get it at the beginning of the week. The good news was they could fit me in on Thursday afternoon. The bad news was I didn’t get a new chair because they hadn’t ordered it.

Apparently the first appointment, when it was intimated a chair would be ordered immediately and take approximately 8 weeks, was merely a preliminary to the actual assessment yesterday. It was a good job I tried out the chair before they ordered because it was unsuitable but I was annoyed that the procedure wasn’t explained to us. I needn’t have got my hopes up. It could be anything up to 12 weeks before the new wheelchair arrives. However, my parents and I witnessed the woman fill in the order form so hopefully will be on its way soon.

So, I didn’t get what I expected regarding my wheelchair and I got another verbal surprise. About 1 and half hours into the appointment, the woman turned to my mum and said, “does he always have a vacant look on his face like his off in another world?” Rude. I know that my condition makes my face look dopey but it’s one of them things you don’t say. I replied, “My condition can make me look stoned”. I shouldn’t have to explain the way I look but I did. She then asked “why that was?” like an inquisitive child. I need a T-Shirt saying ‘I am disabled’ because it clearly isn’t clear enough.

I say they were both unexpected but nothing shocks me anymore, whether that is work colleagues contradicting each other or people not thinking before they speak.

Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glen as someone who is a fellow Gooner and works in the care industry. I fully understand what you are saying here mate , many a day when out with a resident I get these same attitudes ie : people not seeing the wheelchair of the person I'm supporting. My biggest annoyance is fellow workers calling you Clients or Customers I find this offensive and wrong, I refuse to use this term and some of the government jargon I'm forced to use. Keep up the good work and sorry for my poor grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the grammar. Society is not mallicious. People just don't think and need to learn so they can open their eyes.Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete