Tuesday 7 May 2013

America is the greatest…


That is sarcasm right there. Now, I am sure it is a great country and it is one I am desperate to visit. Not least, because of the brilliant exports such as my beloved ‘Glee’. The US of A (Borat reference for my older readers) is also birthplace to my two favourite funny-men, Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler. That brings me on to the film industry and why I began with a little bit of mockery aimed at those across the pond. America is synonymous with Hollywood, which in turn is the home of the best actors/actresses from around the world starring in huge blockbuster movies.

On Friday, I went to see the latest big screen success ‘Olympus has fallen’. It, like ‘Argo’, is brilliant and keeps you on the edge of your seat (good job I was strapped in my wheelchair). Although it’s not true and slightly racist (deliberately turns you against North Koreans), I’d recommend paying the extortionate price for a ticket that cinemas charge nowadays. However, I am getting fed up of constantly watching films that glorify the ‘Land of Freedom’ (would not be surprised if that is a future title).

Not only do they over-celebrate and, at times, sensationalise America’s short history but also the string of films seems to include propaganda. ‘Olympus’ is definitely sending out a “do not mess with us” message to North Korea. Whereas, ‘Argo’ and ‘Zero Dark 30’ are commending two famous institutions, bigging up the work of the CIA and the Military. Both do not show the controversy behind the stories. I am making no accusations but didn’t a country in the 1930’s get criticized for making the public support the government through messages in the media? Just saying.

Some might say that I am jealous because Britain have not had a feel good film recently but that’s not because we lack interesting stories, we just do not like to blow our own trumpets. Instead of an extravagant movie, which ends with the capture of the World Most Wanted and emphasising our great authority, we have low budget films with Ray Winstone dishing out retribution to Danny Dyer for sleeping with his wife. And we’re proud of it!

Just to clarify, there was no malice behind them comments. I was just pointing out a fact that has been annoying me of late. I do not want to lose any of my international readers. If I did offend you, watch this video. It is sort of related but all that matters is that it is hilarious. Stewart Lee comments on this “American blind patriotism” at the end of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2LcKdRU0o
It may be quite a long-winded joke but stick with it, the punch line is worth it.


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment