Thursday 13 December 2012

The only journo in the village...


Before I forget, I’ll tell you about my little journalistic adventure last Friday. During the first term, we have been learning how to construct professional articles in a News Writing module, run by the fantastic journalist Rachel Sharp. It has been my favourite part of the course as it gives you hands on experience of what it’s like to work in a newsroom to deadlines. I’ve picked up so much knowledge and tips from Rachel. I’m sad the module is over.

Last week, Rachel made it a live reporting day so everyone in my class had to pick a place name out of the hat and produce a decent sized (300-400) article by 4pm so we had six hours. You’d think it would’ve been easy. Yes, if I got Uxbridge or Hillingdon but I didn’t. My ‘patch’ was Harmondsworth, the only place I had never heard of. Turns out it’s a village in the middle of nowhere (or so it seems) and it’s a 20 minute bus ride from Brunel. Guess what? Nothing much happens. The first local I spoke to told me it was “boring” and I really struggled to find a story.

After what seemed like hours looking around the quite village and speaking to people who didn’t even live local so knew nothing, I spotted a poster about a historic barn, which needed donations to survive. I researched it briefly on my phone, took a picture and spoke to a local resident who answered some questions. There was a number on the poster so back at the Uni, I made the relevant calls which enabled me to write up a piece.

It was a stressful experience as I drew the short straw and couldn’t find a lead for ages but it taught me not to give up. I got there in the end.

I’ve got a News Writing exam in the morning so time for a little bit of last minute revision.

Bye for now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment