Wednesday 19 March 2014

Happiness turns to anger…

The past three days have been mental to say the least. If you don’t know already, the Arsenal goal-scorer gave me his shirt after the match on Sunday (here’s the best video that captures the special moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw198VrIgQ0&feature=youtu.be). I have received so many messages and I still can’t fathom why. It’s been really nice but luckily the bombardment is slowing down. However, I was always aware that reality would bring me back down to earth with a bump. I suspected that Chelsea would be the ones to rain on my parade when we play them on Saturday, not the government.

I’ve mentioned before that I, like many other disabled adults, am forced to pay a contribution towards the care that I receive. Now, I see that as wholly unfair because other people who receive benefits for whatever reason and do not need carers are not having to stump up £40 a week (doesn’t sound a lot but it is to someone who cannot work and relies on benefits to live). This is clearly a penalty against those who need 24/7 support. I don’t want carers but the rate my Friedreich’s Ataxia is deteriorating means that they are necessary and I don’t have a choice.

I don’t think people with permanent disabilities should have to contribute towards care full stop but what is worse is that yesterday I found out that they want £40 a day off me, instead of the previous £17. To say I’m confused is an understatement. None of my circumstances have changed. If anything, I’ve got less money nowadays as I buy my own food/clothes and pay my way at home. I haven’t suddenly become rich although the people at Direct Payments suddenly think I am. They even said I would lose my benefits and face prison if I didn’t pay towards my care.

Sorry if this sounds a tad over-dramatic but it strikes me as a less overt version of the way Nazi Germany treated disabled people. Obviously, the government do not round-up the handicapped and euthanize them but they seem to keep having sly digs. Either with this or the bedroom tax. Everyone knows that people cannot have decent lives without money so I see various measures being introduced which will gradually squeeze us out. I would say it’s the Conservatives trying to wash their hands of disabled scum but all political parties are just the same.

You probably don’t agree but this situation is causing me so much stress that I just had to vent. Looks like lady luck gives with one hand and takes away with the other.

Bye for now! 

2 comments:

  1. Venting is good, and keep doing it. The more people who realise the safety net they are paying into is being destroyed and that the disabled have to pay for care with money they often don't have, it might make the government make a u turn. This certainly does pang of the origins of Nazism. How can any civilised rich country threaten someone with prison if they need to use care but can't pay for it!
    Chin up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks- it's nice to know people agree with me :) x

    ReplyDelete