Wednesday 12 August 2015

God and disability...

After yesterday's post about human morality in relation to people using disabled parking bays when they should not, I have decided to tackle an even more serious subject and that is the question of God (I'm certainly putting my Philosophy & Ethics A-Level to good use this week). I know religion is quite controversial and provocative but everyone is entitled to an opinion. It is totally fine to disagree with me. I just thought my readers would be interested to find out a bit more about my belief system and the reasons behind it.

I think I have mentioned in the past that I am a staunch atheist (although I have realised that I am more of an 'agnostic' because I cannot be 100% certain that there is no God.) and it does not take a genius to work out why that is. Being disabled and believing in a God just do not go together; a bit like the way a physicist cannot, in my opinion, be devoutly religious. Most people who feel God does not exist point to science and use theories such as The Big Bang or evolution to disprove an almighty creator. They also cite the lack of empirical evidence as showing God does not exist.

While I agree with the points and use them whenever I am discussing this subject, the fact that I have Friedreich's Ataxia is what wrangles with me the most when I am contemplating the existence of God. How am I meant to believe in a higher being if illnesses like mine litter the human race? The same applies to natural disasters. Surely a God would not allow earthquakes or hurricanes? A common response from believers is that God is testing humanity like that makes it acceptable. Bringing illness and suffering upon someone is a pretty callous examination so I cannot envisage a God doing that.

However, perhaps I am wrongly giving the idea of God the attributes of a Christian one (after all, I was indoctrinated with the religion from an early age as I attended a Church of England primary school). Maybe God does not have to be all powerful, full of love and able to see/hear everything. There could be a God out there that is evil and gets a kick out of seeing humans suffer...

I guess I will never know for sure but I am 99% convinced that God does not exist.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment