Wednesday 10 September 2014

Putting my money where my mouth is…

As you all know, I’m quite opinionated about many subjects but particularly forthright when it comes to football. That being said, I have nothing to back up my knowledge of the beautiful game with and people no doubt question how I can ever be right on football because I don’t even play. That’s why I have decided to start doing my coaching badges so that I have certificates to show that I have been on courses and studied the sport I am so passionate about. I’m not doing it just to show off in arguments though. I want to go into coaching and maybe one day manage a team.

From an early age, I wanted to get into football professionally and grow up to be a top player for the Arsenal like my boyhood hero Dennis Bergkamp. However when I discovered I had Friedreich’s Ataxia aged 9, that dream obviously died. It soon became apparent that I was a fairly good writer (please don’t take that as arrogance) so I ended up thinking that sports journalism was another way into football. I then realised I do not enjoy/find it difficult to be impartial so gave up on that career path. I now want to try and do what no wheelchair user has done in the history of professional football, manage a team of able-bodied players.

I have never coached before so my ambition of being the next Arsene Wenger is a long way off but you’ve got to aim high in life to achieve your goals. I might be rubbish at it and fail my assessment but it’s surely worth a try. The course begins on Sunday and consists of four tutorials followed by an assessment so hopefully by the end of September; I won’t just be a ‘Wheelchair Boy’. All going well I’ll have completed the FA 1st4sport Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Football and will have that by name (a bit like how teachers show off their achievements).


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment