Tuesday 17 February 2015

Positive discrimination…

It’s a subject that comes up a lot when people talk about minority groups and employment. It normally boils down to whether someone should get a job because of a particular skillset or because there is a quota in place. I believe forcing companies to recruit minorities is fine in the main because minorities (whether that be Blacks, Asians, LGBT or the disabled) have the same amount of talent but it’s much harder for them to progress in life compared to straight white able-bodied men. Minorities simply need a push up in the form of positive discrimination.

However, I want to speak about positive discrimination generally rather than focus on employment. What prompted me to write this post was when my friend asked me if I am treated more favourably in some situations because I am disabled? The answer is of course I am. I’d be lying if I said otherwise. For example, there is no way I would have been chosen to come out of the tunnel behind the players at the Emirates Stadium in 2013 if I was an able bodied supporter. Also, when I meet/have my photo taken with celebrities, I believe that most wouldn’t have given me the time of day if I wasn’t in a wheelchair.

So being disabled does have it’s perks but obviously I’d rather queue for hours and never meet celebrities than have Friedreich’s Ataxia. Whenever I am treated favourably because of the disability, I just think that I pulled the short straw in life so it’s about time my luck improved. The negative discrimination that I face on a daily basis definitely outweighs any positive discrimination. I wish being disabled was a game I could switch on and off so I only experienced positive discrimination but unfortunately it’s not. It’s probably an 80:20 split in favour of being negatively discriminated against (as you read about in this blog).

The point I’m making is next time you see a person in a wheelchair jumping a queue; remember at least you can walk.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment